Friday, May 9, 2008

No Uptake, Phew!

After some phone calls, Justin and I got the results of his PET scan this morning. The report says no uptake which means no more cancer! Holy cow does it feel good to say that. Justin and I could not stop smiling, neither could Dr. Fata. We knew the second he walked into the office that he was going to deliver good news. He had a big smile on his face and shook Justin's hand, announcing "congratulations." Of course we pestered him with lots of questions and made him repeat several times that the radiologist report was correct.

Justin still has a slight cough. Dr. Fata explained that a) it is not symptoms of Hodgkin's, b) it could be PCP [pneumonia] since that can be a side effect from tapering off steroids, c) the bleomycin from his chemo cocktail could be causing some unwanted side effects. Justin will have a pulmonary function test later this week. They will compare it to the test he took before his treatment began and if they see any problems, Justin will complete the rest of his treatments minus the bleo. We have been assured that this will not effect the overall outcome of treatment since bleomycin is most effective and potent in the beginning of treatment.

In the end, it is all good news. It was very stressful this week waiting for the results. Justin and I made the mistake of going to the hospital last night and requesting a copy of his PET scan report. All the medical jargon kept me up last night on "Google" trying to figure out what the report said and nearly scaring myself silly, or I should say crazy. Once I saw Dr. Fata's smile this morning, I vowed to have trust in him from now on and to stop looking on the internet. Good advice for me and the others out there who like to self diagnose!

We are celebrating tonight by attending our first Tiger game of the season! I think Justin will be their good luck charm!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! Congratulations! Love, Ellen

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you! Congratulations on the good news! Hope you had fun at the game!

Sincerely,
Natalie

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the good news!! We've been keeping all of you in our thoughts and prayers here in NC!! Please keep attending Tiger's games so we can get a win streak started!!!!

-Adam Thompson

Anonymous said...

Fantastic news! So happy to hear it.
Jeff Summerson