Monday, June 30, 2008

The Old Pro

Justin had his 10th treatment today. We felt a bit anxious during the treatment and it took us some time to identify why our nerves were more elevated than usual. Justin's favorite nurse, Claire, had the day off. It is funny how one little thing can throw a person off. Well, I guess it isn't a "little" thing. She has offered great comfort to both of us during treatment and I never have second guessed her. But today I found myself double checking everything his nurse did. And there were some changes in his treatment. For some reason Justin did not receive one of the anti-nausea drugs he usually does. After questioning about the missing bag several times, it was explained to us that the insurance companies were giving our oncologist a hard time about their frequent use of a drug not necessarily needed for all patients. No biggie. Justin actually has extra medicine since the last few treatments he has skipped some of his pills since he says they make him too "out of it" and he doesn't feel nauseous. Nevertheless, the two changes made me infectiously nervous and overly cautious. Glad it is over with and Justin can look forward to his very last treatment exactly four weeks from today!

Today a man getting his first treatment sat near Justin and they spoke the entire time about a whole bunch of things, treatment and non-treatment related. Justin was trying to give him some advice about what to expect. I have noticed he has done that lately. I am sure he remembers the nerves he felt during his first chemo treatment and wants to help others to feel a bit better. He's an old pro.

We had a great weekend too. Justin managed to get a surge of energy early Thursday and attended a few Tiger baseball games. My brother and Marissa came into town and we joined them at the game on Friday night, went to the pool Saturday, and of course ate some great food at my parent's house. It is getting crazy with all the grandchildren. But of course it is great fun!

Well, we have some big baseball games to watch this week. I guess I should say that Justin has some to watch. I told him I am too nervous to watch and will just wait for his report. Anyway, the anticipation of this upcoming series is keeping all of our minds busy! Eat 'em up Tigers, Eat 'em up!!! And can someone jinx those darn White Soxs, please???

2 comments:

Matt Monroe said...

Go HONE! Man keep up the good work. Glad you got to go to a tigers game!! They are turning it around for sure.

Anonymous said...

I may be on the west coast but that doesn't mean I don't keep up on what's going on in the D. The old pro...helping others, good stuff. Glad all is progressing well and it seems now that you're over halfway through the treatments we can now say the worst is behind you, right? One of my favorite sayings "if you're going through hell....keep going." It will be over soon and life and energy will return to normal, I'll check in after the July 8th checkup. I think about you a lot, hope to talk with you soon.
Jeff Summerson